Graduate Medical Education
\\\Riverside GME Program
General Educational Objectives
- To acquire a comprehensive knowledge base, clinical decision-making ability,
and technical skills in the principal components of general surgery. These
goals are fostered in an environment of progressively-graded clinical
and operative experience and responsibility.
- To acquire a broad experience in the additional components of general surgery,
including acquisition of the appropriate knowledge base, the development
of specific technical skills, and an understanding of the principles of
decision-making particular to the specialty.
- To acquire the ability to quickly and effectively assess, stabilize, and
manage (operatively or non-operatively, as appropriate) the patient with
severe multiple injuries, regardless of the organ systems involved.
- To demonstrate the intellectual curiosity and commitment required to participate
fully in the didactic curriculum of the residency program and to develop
personal, life-long habits of self-study and continuing education
To develop professional habits consistent with sound ethical medical practice,
- Effective interpersonal relationships with peers and other health professionals.
- A compassionate attitude toward patients and their families and friends.
- Clarity and timeliness of written communication in medical records and
To develop General Competencies in areas recommended by the ACGME
- Patient care
- Medical knowledge
- Practice-Based learning and improvement
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Systems-Based practice
- To secure an environment in which the residents can develop mature surgical
judgment and technical skills and, at the same time, be able to cultivate
their cultural and social life.